Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Unlikely Sonic Youth fans

Apparently the U.S. Library of Congress has deemed SY's classic Daydream Nation "worthy of preservation". I second that emotion. (And to continue a slight self-referential trend I've been noticing here lately, I truly hope this helps the losers at UPenn realize they have absolute no taste.)

The wheels of syncronicity are grinding. Their new one, Rather Ripped, is going to be hitting stands sometime this summer. That kind of announcement usually gets me flipping through the old catalog, sorta like doing homework I suppose. I finished moving Bad Moon Rising to my iPod last night. For the record, Daydream is their best (and rightfully/justifiably tapped for preservation) but Bad Moon Rising is my personal favorite. Songs bleed from one to another, giving it a sort of over-arching, meta-story feel to it. I find myself losing track of time, isolating Kim's bass for the first few songs and then suddenly realizing that Bob Bert has really only been beating the hell out of his toms and his snare all the while. Next time I put it on I catch myself trying to guess whether I'm following Thurston or Lee as the guitars recklessly spiral into terrific highs, or crash together into concrete walls. Then another time I'm all about the lyrics, imagining how they're delivered, how they'll be delivered, how they've been delivered. I get like that on other SY albums at certain songs, but it is probably the "concept album" feel of Bad Moon Rising (as much as I hate using that term) that blisses me out for a longer, uninterrupted stint.

No comments: