Thursday, April 14, 2005

UPenn's whiny, ungreatful undergrads

I'm livid. I'm fuming! I can't believe this, and I can't take it anymore!

Apparently, the University of Pennsylvania is populated by a bunch of un-hip, out-of-the-loop, unappreciative retards. For a stellar example, check out this chick. Strictly from a musical stand-point, it boggles my mind that these idiots claim to have never heard of Sonic Youth. The "more modern" bands they prefer and probably listen to have! In fact, I'd lay $20 on that. And if the bands mentioned in that last article performing at "a Locust Street block party" have never heard of Sonic Youth...then I think its pretty safe to say they'll always remain a "local band". Whether the vocal UPenn student body is intending to feign ignorance or not, this certainly paints them that way and I thank my lucky stars there's, like, an entire state dividing me from them.

But the real issue I have is just how spoiled and narrow-minded these wastes-of-space really are. They should be thanking their lucky stars to be getting a band like Sonic Youth at all! Have you seen who UNCG's Office of Student Life is bringing in? Fuggin' LOU RAWLS!!?!?! Now I know I'm being rather hypocritical here, I'm sort of exposing one type of ignorance (their's) with another (mine). But c'mon! Lou Rawls? Does this not reak of "community appeasment"? Shouldn't our Office of Student Life (or the Campus Activity Board for that matter) be more interested in Student Life? When has UNCG ever brought in an act that not only appeals more towards the 20-something student body instead of the 60-something Greensboro community? I've been involved at UNCG, in one capacity or another, for the past 10 years and I can only think of two or three instances.

The students at UPenn should get over themselves, count their lucky stars to be at an institution that can attract good acts to their Spring Flings.

Meanwhile, check out this article for some positive Sonic Youth news.

No comments: