Thursday, March 22, 2012

Al's Guilty Pleasures: Interpol

I walk away from "Obstacle 1" for months at a time. Then suddenly, it's the only thing I want to listen to. I'm on listen #4 and it's not even noon. Goddamn it's catchy. Dueling guitars, respectable bassline, warbling vocals. Alluring subject matter. Turn on the Bright Lights is their first and their best; there are gems on subsequent albums, but the difference is that there are fewer spaces in-between each gem on Turn on the Bright Lights.



I refuse to link to the video. Go find it yourself if you're really into that kinda thing, but it ain't the whole song and the video just isn't very good. (Take note of two things when you watch that video: historically, one needs to remember that Turn on the Bright Lights and The Ring share the same release year; choreographically, I'm guessing the director said something along the lines of "Only Paul is allowed to look cool during this shoot. Got it? Rolling!")

No comments: