Friday, August 31, 2012

XombiRick's Katanas: The Beerman's Apocalypse

Normally I’m not this forthcoming with serious advice or plans for zombie apocalypse survival. Why? Because it truly is every zeep for him or herself on ZA Day! I think every prepper worth his or her salt would back me up on that. Who in their right mind would disclose specifics of their escape plan or the location of their buried bug-out bag, right? The devil’s in the details...and we all know he can be your undoing.

That said, I’ve been inspired by the guys over at the Evolution of the Apocalypse podcast. These guys are very thorough in their reviews of survival gear, sharing useful advice in a way that doesn’t feel like a lecture. I share two passions with Mike and Matt: beer and surviving the zombie apocalypse. And it dawned on me very quickly that, in my case, one passion (beer) enables the other (survival).

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: Brewers were at the dawn of civilization; after the apocalypse, it will be brewers who bring it back.

Imagine yourself months into the apocalypse. Pockets of humanity will be rising from the dust. With a scarcity of resources and shelter, you can expect to be valued or scorned by others based on your knowledge and skill-set. Doctors, farmers, mechanics, and soldiers will obviously become valued members of a new society. Know who else is gonna be valued? The Beerman!

That’s my plan, zeeps, and I’m stickin’ to it! For example, I’ve already considered how the scarcity of resources is going to affect my recipes. At any given point it’s safe to say that we’re not going to have enough grain, hops, water, or yeast to cook up a batch that will keep me (and my family) from being tossed out of the bunker. Time to innovate! Time to be creative and resourceful! Time for pruno!

If it is news to you that prison inmates regularly brew their own wine, then I’ve done my job here today. My plan is to perfect this process, zeeps. In a post-apocalyptic world I will make the best-tasting swill possible…until better ingredients are secured for better-tasting recipes.

Want a poetic recipe for pruno? Go here.

Want an even better article about making pruno? Go here.

1 comment:

Evolution Of The Apocalypse said...

Yo!!! Xombirick its mike from evoulution of the apocalypse! That blog post rocks! We all will need a great craft brew in the apocalypse! I'm thrilled you liked the show! Thanks!